A busy Sunday for Mitchell firefighters

Sunday morning. Mitchell Fire Marshal Shannon Sandoval says firefighters responded to the A non-fireworks-related fire destroyed a garage and its contents early blaze at 162 North Harmon Drive shortly after 1-am and found the two-stall detached garage fully-involved. He says firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 20 minutes and remained on the scene until shortly before 4-am. “It appears to be electrical in nature,” said Sandoval. “…a fuse panel may have caused the issue.” He says the garage is considered a total loss estimated at $80,000 to $100,000.

Sandoval says no one was hurt and the fire scene has been returned to the property owners.

Meanwhile, a Mitchell home sustained around $20,000 damage as a result of a fire late Sunday afternoon. Mitchell Fire Marshall Shannon Sandoval says firefighters responded to the residence around 4:30 and found smoke and flames coming from the eastside of the home located at 610 South Iowa Street. Crews attacked the fire coming from an awning and contained the damage to that area on the southeast side of the home.

Sandoval says the cause appears to be accidental and the residents were able to return to the home. No one was hurt.