Mitchell Technical College students offer free income tax preparation service

For the second year in a row, students at Mitchell Technical College will make income tax filing simpler for individuals who qualify for a special program
offered through a federal grant program.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program offers free tax help to people who made under
$60,000 last year and taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns.
“This is a great opportunity for our Accounting students to learn real-life skills while giving
back to the community,” Instructor Annika Russell-Manke said. Because of working with VITA,
“our students walk out with certification from the IRS and experiences to back them up.”
Established over 50 years ago, VITA is managed by the Internal Revenue Service, with sites
operated nationwide by IRS partners and staffed by volunteers who want to make a
difference in their communities.

Mitchell Tech’s accounting students have been certified to provide free basic income tax
return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
VITA services are not only free – they are also a reliable and trusted source for preparing tax
returns. All VITA volunteers who prepare returns must take and pass tax law training that
meets or exceeds IRS standards. This training includes maintaining the privacy and
confidentiality of all taxpayer information. In addition to requiring volunteers to certify their
knowledge of the tax laws, the IRS requires a quality review check for every return prepared
at a VITA/TCE site prior to filing. Each filing season, tens of thousands of dedicated VITA/TCE
volunteers prepare millions of federal and state returns. They also assist taxpayers with the
preparation of thousands of Facilitated Self-Assistance returns.
Appointments are available every Tuesday from 4 p.m. until 8 p.m. through tax season, except
March 14. To schedule, call 605-995-7120 or visit
What to bring
• Proof of identification (photo ID) or Social Security cards for you, your spouse and
• Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
• An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted
for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
• Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
• Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
• Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank
• To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be
present to sign the required forms
• Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as
their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number